I was scheduled to be induced on Monday, March 9th, but that was not the case. With a limited number of beds and a huge influx of laboring moms that week, we were rescheduled twice. I then went in on Wednesday morning for a Non-Stress Test to make sure baby wasn’t in distress. During this test, baby’s heart rate was staying pretty constant and dipping during some contractions, which was not a good sign and I was sent over to the hospital for continued monitoring and to start induction.
Once I arrived at the hospital, there were still no rooms available, so I was monitored in a back room in the nursery for a few hours. Finally, late that afternoon I had a room and we started an oral induction medication. Contractions came on hard and fast and baby’s heart rate was showing us more signs of distress. My doctor recommended not continuing the oral medication and trying Pitocin, as they are able to stop administering it if there are signs of distress, which you cannot do with an oral medication. The contractions again continued to come hard and fast and baby was again, not handling the contractions. The nurse made a phone call to my doctor, and the next thing I knew, he had returned to the hospital from home and in his scrubs to discuss options.
As soon as I saw him I knew things weren’t looking good. He sat down and explained his concerns with the baby in distress and this early in labor (I was only 2cm dilated). The discussion of a C-section was now on the table. I sobbed. I wanted to deliver this baby. I wanted to experience bringing another child into the world again and I definitely did not want to have major surgery, especially with a toddler at home. Through the tears I told him, “I just want my baby to be safe and healthy.” It was decided around 7pm to go ahead with the C-section for the safety of myself and my baby and my doctor said, “Lets do this! Let’s go have a Birthday party!”
After the decision had been made, things moved very quickly. I signed what felt like 500 papers, gave my husband a kiss, and was escorted down the hallway to the operating room. I was terrified. Once in the operating room, my doctor asked me what kind of music I’d like and put on Brooks and Dunn radio. Once on the table, the anesthesiologist prepped my back for the spinal block. During my labor with Aspen, my epidural was not done correctly and was some of the worst pain I had ever felt. I was so scared to have to get another. Luckily, I had a different anesethesiologist who did an incredible job. I held/ squeezed the life out of the hands of my OB and midwife who distracted and calmed me through the process. Once the spinal block was in my legs felt warm and tingly and I was laid back on the operating table.
I had chosen to have a clear barrier so that I could easily see my doctor and my baby once he/she was born. My doctor had tested to make sure I was completely numb and started the process. He then asked the nurse to bring Bryce in. I was so anxious and wanted my husband. Once he was in the OR with me, he stroked my head and tears rolled down my face. I was scared and felt so helpless. I was so glad to see him in that moment. He was so calm and looked down at me and said, “You’re okay babe, everything’s going to be fine. I’ve got you.” The doctor then reminded everyone in the room that Bryce was going to announce the gender of our baby once he/she arrived. The process quickly continued and I knew we were getting close to meeting our son or daughter. I then felt an unexplainable amount of pressure and felt like it was hard to breathe. The next thing I knew, baby was here and Bryce said “We have another girl!!!” My doctor held up our daughter so I could see her. I was so overwhelmed with love and relief- I ugly cried. It was the exact same feeling I had seeing Aspen for the first time. The best and most unexplainable feeling I have ever experienced. On March 11th at 7:55pm Sloane Oaklee Stacy was here and she was beautiful, healthy, and safe. After delivery, my doctor explained that with the way she was positioned, she had been stuck in my pelvis with no way to deliver her naturally. I was relieved to know that we had made the right decision.
The next day, big sissy was able to come and meet Sloane. My heart was SO full and Aspen was so proud and excited. We were so thankful to have a few family members visit before the hospital had shut down visitors due to COVID-19. Afterwards, only Bryce was allowed in the room.
It has been very nerve-racking bringing a new life into the world in this state, but we have been filled with so much love and joy. Although we have been in quarantine ever since, we are enjoying all of the extra snuggles with our sweet little family of four.